Surrogacy can be a satisfying and fulfilling experience, both for intended parents and the surrogate mothers. However, it also requires great amount of commitment from both the parties, and it is important to consider all of the aspects of surrogacy program before beginning of the process.
Below you will find some of the most common surrogacy pros and cons for everyone involved in the process.
Surrogacy Benefits for Intended Parents
For intended parents the benefits of surrogacy seem obvious: as it is a great way to make their dreams of parenthood come true.
However, the hundreds of families who have completed the surrogacy process will assure you that the pros of surrogacy extend far beyond that. Here are just a few of the advantages of surrogacy for intended parents:
- Surrogacy completes families. For aspiring parents who have struggled with infertility and those with medical conditions that make pregnancy unsafe, surrogacy is often the answer to years of unsuccessful attempts to create a family.
- Surrogacy allows for genetic connection. Surrogacy enables one or both the parents to retain a biological relationship with their child.
- Surrogacy creates relationships. Many intended parents develop close relation with their surrogate and her family during the process, establishing meaningful bonds that can last a lifetime.
- Surrogacy involves few surprises. A legally binding contract outlining everyone’s expectations will be negotiated and discussed and then signed prior to the embryo transfer process, so everyone will know their rights and duties, what to expect during the surrogacy process.
Surrogacy Pros and Cons for Surrogates Mothers
Women considering the amazing gift of motherhood through surrogacy are often asked, “Why surrogacy?”, “What’s in it for you?”.
Surrogate mothers have many different reasons for being Surrogate mothers, and each may find different rewards in the experience. Here are just a few surrogacy advantages for these incredible women or say super mothers towards their families:
- Surrogacy is a rewarding gift. Most women who choose surrogacy do so to give back to another family. It takes a special, compassionate person to become a surrogate. A surrogate can walk away from the experience with a deep sense of pride and satisfaction that they were able to help another family in the most selfless way possible.
- Surrogacy allows you to experience motherhood. The surrogacy process allows them to experience all of the joys and wonders of pregnancy again, even if their own families are already complete they are still mothers to many kids and in this process they complete many incomplete families.
- Surrogates enjoy a sense of community. Surrogacy is a great experience, and many surrogates are able to develop deep and close bonds with other women who have completed the process.
- Surrogates are legally protected. Surrogate mothers enter into a legally binding contract with the intended parents, giving them the opportunity to clearly outline their expectations and responsibilities during the surrogacy process. This always ensures that the surrogate will be fairly compensated and that she will not claim for the baby after birth.
- Surrogates are well compensated. In exchange for your yearlong commitment to the intended parents and completing their family, as well as the many physical and emotional demands of pregnancy, the surrogate is well compensated with an amount that may be used to help her achieve future goals and support her family, such as buying a house or paying for her children’s college education.